Green, Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Tourism Practices and how YOU Can Become a "GREEN" Guest:
In the name of sustainable living, more and more hotels and spas are doing their part to save the planet by going "green." Brookstreet Hotel in Ottawa offers 10 ways that YOU can help by being a Green Hotel & Spa Guest:
• Hang wet towels to dry and reuse the following day.
• Request not to have your sheets changed every day.
• Take showers – the shorter, the better, instead of baths to save water.
• Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth.
• While in your room, limit the number of lights being used.
• Disconnect your laptop and chargers when not in use – plugged in, they’re still using energy.
• When you leave the room, turn off all ights, the TV and radio.
• In warmer weather, turn off guestroom air conditioning when leaving the room and leave the curtains open to encourage natural warming by the sun.
• Place paper, plastic, glass, cans and food waste in respective recycling bins.
• Finish bath amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion etc.) before using the replacements. Leave behind unused amenities to reduce waste.