Recipe courtesy of The Brain Booster Diet: Feed Your Memory by Norene Gilletz and Dr. Edward Wein
Dairy/Parve/Gluten-Free/Passover/Do Not Freeze
Makes 6 Mushroom Caps
Portobello mushroom caps make an excellent alternative to pizza crust if you are watching your carbohydrate intake. To remove excess moisture, broil or bake mushrooms before adding the toppings. These make a luscious vegetarian main dish and are also an excellent as a side dish or easy appetizer.
6 Large Portobello Caps
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. tomato sauce (preferably low-sodium or no-salt added)
1/2 c. diced tomatoes
3/4 – 1 c. grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat Oven to 450′ F. Rinse mushrooms briefly and pat dry with paper towel. Lightly brush mushroom caps on all sides with oil, then sprinkle with garlic and seasonings.
- Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven and turn mushrooms over. Fill each with a spoonful of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, return to oven and bake for 5 minutes longer
- Serve along with you favorite salad.
More on the Brain Booster Diet